Monday, January 19, 2015

Card Series - Birthday #18

This is week 1 of my 52 week challenge of making a card and uploading it to YouTube each week of 2015! So here we go!

I decided I need a lot more aged birthday cards to add to my market stall so I searched my craft room for my Cricut, found it and switched it on! I needed to cut some numbers for the aged birthday card - multiple of them as I will glue them together to give dimension.

I started by cutting down a piece of white cardstock to 5" x 3 7/8" and using the middle sized die in the SimonSaysStamp "Balloons" die set, positioned the die in the centre of the cardstock and ran it through my big shot.

Balloon die

Next I took a piece of cardstock that was at least 3 1/2" tall by 3 1/2" wide and took the following distress inks and sponged them on in the form of a rainbow:

Distress Inks: barn door, wild honey, squeezed lemonade, shabby shutters, broken china, chipped sapphire

distress inks coloured across the paper in rainbow format
I then did the same thing, sponging on the above inks on a piece of white cardstock measuring at least 2 1/4" x 6". Placed this piece onto my Cricut mat, using the Learning Curve cartridge I cut the 70 using SHADOW feature and size at 1 3/4".

Ensure orientation correct before cutting (red at top)

To dimensionalise the numbers I cut 3 of each of the 7 and 0 using white cardstock and adhered them together with the coloured cardstock on top.

I then heat embossed the numbers using Versamark embossing ink and Ranger Holographic Embossing Powder which gave it a shiny sparkly finish.

Shiny & Sparkly

Next I stamped the "happy birthday" sentiment using Onyx Black Versafine ink at the top of the layer. This stamp was from the Hero Arts "Year Round Sentiment" stamp set.

I then stamped the "celebrate" (KaiserCraft "Save the Date") again using Onyx Black Versafine ink, then the "Let's" was stamped with the same ink. I do not have the packaging for this stamp but I'm sure it's from See Dee's. Both of these stamps are poor quality!

I then placed a strip of double-sided tape on the back of this top layer to hold the Baker's Twine in place while I wrapped it around the top layer of the card. I then tied a bow and adhered it down using Ranger Multi Matte Medium.

I hand wrote the "th" next to the zero using a Faber Castell Pitt Artist Pen sized XS in black.

I rounded all bottom edges using my We R Memory Keepers Corner Chomper with the 1/2" side.

Next I applied foam tape to the back of the top layer and adhered it to the middle layer (yellow cardstock cut to 4" x 5 1/8") then adhered it to the front of a card base cut at 4 1/8" x 10 1/2" scored in half at 5 1/4" (this is a top folding card).

The inside sentiment "Today is your day!" from KaiserCraft's "Today" stamp set was stamped using Onyx Black Versafine ink.

And here is how it turned out!



And here is another variation of this type of card that I made also:



Oh here's the link to the YouTube video on the making of this card.

Card Series - Birthday #18

Thanks for stopping by!

1 comment:

  1. Thanks Beth :) I loved making these cards too. Clean but sparkly and special
    Smiles
    Jen

    ReplyDelete